Thursday, September 27th @ 2:55pm (student deadline) – End of 1st Six Weeks Grading Period
- Students maintain, lose, or regain academic eligibility based on the work that is completed and turned in to their teachers by the 2:55pm student deadline.
Monday, October 1st @ 10:00pm (teacher deadline)
- Teachers must have all work submitted by the student deadline graded and entered within Skyward.
Thursday, September 27th @ 2:55pm-Thursday, October 4th @ 2:55pm – UIL Grace Week
- The UIL Grace Week is used for:
- Correction of teacher grade reporting errors within Skyward
- Work turned in late due to absence on the final day of the grading period
Thursday, October 4th @ 2:55pm – End of UIL Grace Week
- Students maintain, regain, or lose academic eligibility @ 2:55pm.
Students who become ineligible on Thursday, October 4th @ 2:55pm will be unable to perform at or travel to extracurricular events with the band until academic eligibility status is regained. Extracurricular events include football games, marching contests, parade performances, pep rallies, adjudicated auditions (TMEA), etc… Academic eligibility is not a requirement of co-curricular events such as the Holiday Concert and Spring Concert.
Please note that academic eligibility does not apply to rehearsals. Academic eligibility applies only to performances.
Events immediately affected by loss of academic eligibility on Thursday, October 4th include:
- Saturday, October 6th POC Marching Contest
- Friday, October 12th Waxahachie football game
- Tuesday, October 16th UIL Region Marching Contest
- Friday, October 19th Cedar Hill football game
- Saturday, October 20th MISD Pre-Area Clinic & Contest
Students must earn the following percentages in their classes by the 2:55pm deadline on Thursday, 9/27 in order to maintain or regain academic eligibility:
-AP, Pre-AP, TCC, Pre-Calculus classes – 60% or higher or a grade of Pass for Pass/Fail classes
-All other classes – 70% or higher or a grade of Pass for Pass/Fail Classes
MISD Major Assessment (Test) Retake Policy:
-Refer to the class-specific syllabus for details on MISD mandated major assessment (test) retake policy
-Test retakes taken during the UIL Grace Week may positively effect the class average but WILL NOT positively affect academic eligibility status.
What are we doing to assist our students with maintaining their academic eligibility?
- We will regularly speak to the students regarding the grading period timeline.
- We encourage students to attend tutorials before, during, and after school, as needed.
- Starting the week of September 10th, students will be given in-class study/homework time on occasion and will know in advance which days will include study time.
- At least once per week, the directors will be checking all student grades within Skyward and speaking to individual students regarding low grades, especially zeros.
- A peer tutoring list has been created by the band student leaders and is posted within the band hall. It lists the names of specific band student leaders and the subjects that they are offering peer tutoring.
So, as you can see, students losing academic eligibility at the end of the 1st Six Weeks Grading Period will miss, at the minimum, many of the regular football season games and our marching contests.
As we have mentioned on a number of occasions, the success of our group greatly depends upon the success and academic eligibility of each individual member. PLEASE HELP US BY CHECKING WITH YOUR CHILDREN DAILY REGARDING THEIR ACADEMIC PROGRESS IN ALL OF THEIR CLASSES.